20 June 2012
National Children's Book Day (NCBD) is just around the corner. The Philippine Board on Books for Young People will once again spearhead the event on July 17, 2012 at the Museo Pambata. This year, Dean Dina Joana Ocampo of the UP College of Education, will deliver the keynote address on the theme:
Masayang Magbasa sa Sariling Wika.
The winners of the 2012 PBBY-Salanga Prize and PBBY-Alcala Prize will be awarded to Russell Molina and Hubert Fucio, respectively.
In behalf of the PBBY, I enjoin you to celebrate NCBD in your school, library and learning community. Here are suggested NCBD activities which you can do:
- Conduct storytelling sessions in classrooms and libraries.
- Organize a Filipino Children's Book Character Parade.
- Invite a Filipino author and/or illustrator to speak to children.
- Hold contests on story writing and illustrating. (This can be a follow-up activity to the author and illustrator visit.)
- Display past winning books of the PBBY-Salanga and the PBBY-Alcala prizes in the library. (The PBBY website, http://www.pbby.org.ph, has the list of winners.)
- Stage your own Best Reads event with parents, teachers and students. Remember to focus on Filipino books for children and young adults!
- Invite parents, school officials, teachers and other members of the learning community to talk about books they grew up with.
- Drum up this year's theme by showcasing Filipino books that exemplify: Masayang Magbasa sa Sariling Wika.
- Publish or display (online or in the school paper) reviews of Filipino storybooks by students.
- Read a Filipino children's book or YA novel.
Please remember that the NCBD celebration is not exclusive to PBBY. We would be very pleased to hear news of your NCBD celebration in your community. Send us a note or photos of your NCBD 2012 events and we will feature them on our blog and website. You may also request a poster from the PBBY secretariat (3526765 local 203/120).
Thank you very much. Happy National Children's Book Day!
Zarah C. Gagatiga